INDIANAPOLIS—Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), will meet electricity needs from our customers as temperatures rise to above 90 degrees and heat indices are expected to surpass 100 degrees into the weekend.
As IPL monitors power generation, weather conditions and customer usage throughout our service territory, there are free and easy ways to reduce your home’s energy use and manage your summer utility bill.
Summer Cooling Tips:
- Use the air conditioning effectively by setting your thermostat at as high a temperature as comfortably possible.
- Maintain cooling systems by cleaning the filters in your window air conditioning units and clean or replace filters in central air conditioning systems. Clogged or dirty filters cause air conditioners to use more energy than necessary to keep a home cool.
- Turn off the lights and use energy efficient light bulbs that give off less heat in the home.
- Reduce air leakage by sealing leaks to keep cool air inside your home.
- Close blinds and shades during the warmest part of the day to keep the sun’s rays from heating the inside of your home.
IPL also encourages customers to utilize programs which give them power to personally manage their energy use. IPL customers can explore the 12 different energy-saving Power Tools ℠ programs by going to IPLpower.com/PowerTools. These programs help residential and business customers understand, manage and reduce their energy use.
Some of the IPL Power Tools℠ available to residential customers include:
- CoolCents®: The device allows IPL the ability to briefly and moderately reduce your air conditioner's cycle time during peak electricity usage periods in May through September. When activated, the CoolCents® device shortens the number of minutes your air conditioner is "on." This cycling will normally take place only for a few hours during the day and for only a few days during the summer.
- Home Energy Assessment: Have a professional energy advisor conduct a free walk-through energy assessment in your home. He or she will install free energy-saving equipment and offer recommendations for improving your home's energy use.
- PowerView®: Use this web-based tool to get detailed, personalized information about how to manage your electricity usage, including charts, graphs and tips.
About Indianapolis Power & Light Company and AES:
Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 480,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, IPL has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please visit www.IPLpower.com or connect with us at www.twitter.com/IPLpower, www.facebook.com/IPLpower or www.linkedin.com/company/IPLpower.
The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES) is a Fortune 200 global power company. We provide affordable, sustainable energy to 17 countries through our diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Our workforce of 21,000 people is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world’s changing power needs. AES’ 2015 revenues were $37 billion in total assets. To learn more, please visit www.aes.com. Follow AES on Twitter @TheAESCorp.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company
317.829.7737, pager 317.393.7584