INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.— Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), encourages customers to take steps in advance to be prepared for winter weather this season. IPL customers can fight the winter chill with convenient and easy resources available to help bear the burden of extremely cold days. Here are some helpful safety and energy-efficiency tips to consider as temperatures fall.
Be safe at home:
- Avoid using appliances such as stoves and ovens to heat your home.
- Always use caution when using alternate heat source such as fireplace, wood stove, portable/kerosene heater or electric heaters, practice fire safety, provide for proper ventilation and follow all manufacturer’s safety guidelines.
- Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
- Never leave candles unattended and remember to keep them away from children and combustible materials.
- Take precautions with your pets and limit their time outside.
Be smart about energy use:
- A general rule of thumb is to set your thermostat on 68 degrees or lower to save on heating costs.
- Close all doors, windows, and screens. You may want to purchase inexpensive window kits to cover unused windows and doors with plastic.
- Prevent drafts by closing fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Use IPL PowerView to see your daily and monthly energy use, how weather affects energy usage with actual weather factor overlays, view bills over time, and more.
IPL also encourages customers to be weather aware and prepared. The Outage Information Center on IPLpower.com offers easy outage reporting, safety tips, preparedness tips such as what to pack in an emergency kit, and suggestions on how to form a “Storm Squad” if you need to enact and emergency plan. IPL also encourages customers to follow us on Twitter at @IPLpower where we make every effort to provide relevant, real-time outage updates.
About Indianapolis Power & Light Company and AES.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 490,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, IPL has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please visit www.IPLpower.com or connect with us at www.twitter.com/IPLpower, www.facebook.com/IPLpower or www.linkedin.com/company/IPLpower.
The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES) is a Fortune 200 global power company. We provide affordable, sustainable energy to 17 countries through our diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Our workforce of 19,000 people is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world’s changing power needs. Our 2016 revenues were $14 billion and we own and manage $36 billion in total assets. To learn more, please visit http://www.aes.com. Follow AES on Twitter @TheAESCorp.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company