INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.— Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), encourages customers to put safety first and to also think about easy ways to manage their energy use when Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday, November 5 at 2 a.m.
As Central Indiana “falls back” this weekend and we head into the cold winter months, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Safety experts recommend replacing smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries twice per year.
- Bookmark IPL’s Outage Information Center. In the event of an electrical outage, have IPL’s Outage Information Center bookmarked on your phone or tablet so you can easily report an outage, access outage safety tips, and view our outage map.
- Review your family emergency plan. Hold a meeting with family members to explain what to do and where to go in case of an emergency. Update phone numbers, addresses and contact information, and ensure everyone knows where an emergency kit is stored within the home.
Here are a few simple steps than can make a difference when it comes to effectively managing energy usage:
- Cover drafty windows. Tape a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet over the inside frame of your windows and make sure it’s sealed all the way around. By keeping cold air from blowing in, you’ll prevent your heater from working overtime.
- Adjust your thermostat. The less difference in temperature there is between outside and inside your home, the more energy you’re saving. When you are home and awake, set your thermostat as low as is comfortable, and then turn it down lower when you go to sleep or leave for the day.
- Reduce water heater temperature. Check the temperature of your water heater. Lowering your water heater’s temperature and installing low-flow showerheads could reduce energy and your water heating bills.
- Utilize electronic power strips. Plug electronic devices into a power strip and turn it off when not in use to avoid phantom power usage.
- Sign up for IPL PowerView®. This free and easy tool allows you to see your actual daily energy usage, view bills over time, receive no-cost and low-cost recommendations for saving energy, and determine habits that cost you money. Sign up today at IPLpower.com/PowerView.
For more information about safety and energy efficiency tips, visit IPLpower.com.
About Indianapolis Power & Light Company and AES.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 470,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, IPL has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please visit www.IPLpower.com or connect with us at www.twitter.com/IPLpower, www.facebook.com/IPLpower or www.linkedin.com/company/IPLpower.
The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES) is a Fortune 200 global power company. We provide affordable, sustainable energy to 17 countries through our diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Our workforce of 19,000 people is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world’s changing power needs. Our 2016 revenues were $14 billion and we own and manage $36 billion in total assets. To learn more, please visit http://www.aes.com. Follow AES on Twitter @TheAESCorp.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company
Office: 317.829.7737, Media Hotline: 317.261.5905