INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.— Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), encourages customers to put safety first as we prepare for warmer temperatures and to consider easy ways to manage their energy use as Daylight Saving Time begins this Sunday, March 11 at 2 a.m.
As Central Indiana “springs forward” this weekend, follow these safety tips to reduce the risk of unsafe situations:
- Check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Safety experts recommend replacing smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries twice a year.
- Bookmark IPL’s Outage Information Center. In the event of an electrical outage, have our Outage Center in your phone or tablet so you can easily report an outage, access outage safety tips, and view our outage map.
- Review your family emergency plan. Take a few minutes to put safety first for your family and replenish your emergency outage kit.
Here are a few simple steps than can make a difference when it comes to effectively managing energy usage:
- Choose LED lighting. Replace old incandescent bulbs with newer light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs. With energy-efficient ENERGY STAR bulbs you use 70-90 percent less and they last up to 25 times longer.
- Adjust your thermostat. The less difference in temperature there is between outside and inside your home the more energy you’re saving. Set your thermostat back at least 8 degrees each day – when you are at work and/or sleeping.
- Improve the efficiency of your HVAC system. Replace air filters every month.
- Reduce Water Heater Temperature. Check the temperature of your water heater. Lowering your water heater’s temperature and installing low-flow showerheads could reduce energy and your water heating bills.
For more information about other energy efficient measures you can take to cut your energy costs, visit IPLpower.com/waystosave.
About Indianapolis Power & Light Company and AES.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 490,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, IPL has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please visit www.IPLpower.com or connect with us at www.twitter.com/IPLpower, www.facebook.com/IPLpower or www.linkedin.com/company/IPLpower.
The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES) is a Fortune 200 global power company. We provide affordable, sustainable energy to 15 countries through our diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Our workforce is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world’s changing power needs. Our 2017 revenues were $11 billion and we own and manage $33 billion in total assets. To learn more, please visit www.aes.com. Follow AES on Twitter @TheAESCorp.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company
Office: 317.829.7737, Media Hotline: 317.261.5905