AES Indiana continually monitors power generation, weather conditions and customer usage throughout its 528-square-mile service territory. During times of extreme heat, we delay routine work to maximize the capacity of the system and can enable back-up power sources, if needed. AES Indiana is prepared to meet the hot weather electricity demands of our customers. With temperatures forecasted to climb into the 90s this week in Central Indiana, AES Indiana wants to share tips to help you beat the heat, use less energy and save money.
Be smart about energy use with these helpful tips to beat the heat and save money:
- Adjust your thermostat – set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible in the summer. The recommended setting is 78° or higher when you are home and higher when you are asleep or away.
- Set air conditioning to “auto” instead of “on” and reduce your energy costs.
- Change or clean – filters once a month. Dust and dirt make your unit work harder.
- Vacuum – registers and vents regularly.
- Block the sun – Close blinds and shades during the warmest times of the day to keep the heat out and the cool air in.
- Click it off – Turn off unnecessary lights and switch to energy-efficient lighting that gives off less heat in your home.
- Circulate – Turn off ceiling fans in unoccupied rooms. Fans offer an inexpensive alternative to setting the thermostat to a lower temperature because fans cool people, not rooms.
- Wait until later in the evening to use heat-producing appliances, like the oven, clothes dryer and dishwasher. Many dryers and dishwashers have timers you can set so they turn on hours later.
Extreme weather — either summer heat or winter storms — has the potential to produce localized outages. When the lights go out, AES Indiana has two objectives: get the power back on as soon as possible and keep everyone safe in the process. To report an outage, call 317-261-8111 or visit aesindiana.com/outages.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture.