AES Indiana, a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), reminds customers to plan during Winter Severe Weather Awareness Week, Nov. 5-11. Severe weather can happen at any time. In Indiana, winter weather may be a combination of snowstorms, sleet, hail, ice and rain which can cause power outages.
The purpose of Winter Severe Weather Awareness Week is to educate customers about storm preparedness, the hazards of all types of cold weather storm events, and to provide storm safety tips.
AES Indiana encourages customers to prepare, plan, respond and stay safe with these important tips:
- Have an emergency plan: Have a plan to keep yourself and your family safe. Each person in your household should know how you will respond in an emergency. Additional resources can be found at ready.gov or redcross.org.
- Be prepared – build a storm kit: Each home needs an emergency storm kit with non-perishable food items, water, cash, medications, first aid items, phone chargers, battery-operated or solar-power radio plus extra batteries and blankets. Make sure you gather enough essentials for at least 72 hours. Be sure each member of the household or work location knows where the emergency storm kit is located.
- Powering medical needs: If your medical needs require electricity, plan to have a back-up power source like a generator. You can also contact the AES Indiana Customer Care in advance of a storm to let AES Indiana know of your condition so we can note your account. AES Indiana cannot guarantee priority restoration but will make every effort to get you restored quickly. Customers are also encouraged to discuss a back-up plan with your doctor or health care provider.
- Stay informed and respond: Bookmark AES Indiana’s Outage website on your mobile device for quick and easy access to report outages and check your status. When power outages occur, AES Indiana provides customers real-time information through the online outage map to help customers make critical decisions. Follow AES Indiana on Twitter for real-time updates.
- Be safe around power lines: Put safety first, and never touch or go near a downed power line. Always assume it is energized and stay away. Report a downed power line online at aesindiana.com/outages or call 317-261-8111.
AES Indiana also reminds customers to be aware of their electricity use at home during the cold months and offers these energy efficiency tips and resources.
- Reduce your thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting when home. Remember, the lower the interior temperature, the slower the heat loss. Install a smart thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs. By participating in CoolCents, you may be eligible for a discounted smart thermostat.
- Take advantage of heat from the sun. Open window coverings to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Purchase LED bulbs which use up to 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 times longer. The average home uses 40 bulbs.
- Cover and Repair Windows. Windows can be a major source of lost heat from the inside of your home, especially those that are not insulated for cold weather. Ensure windows are properly sealed and weatherized to help prevent heat from escaping and cold air from entering your home. Caulking small gaps, applying weather stripping to movable parts, and using window attachments can help keep you warm this winter.
Learn more about how your home uses energy, how you can save energy and spend less on your energy bill.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. Connect with AES Indiana on X (Twitter), Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture.