Each October, AES Indiana, a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), recognizes National Energy Awareness Month to raise the importance of sustainability, promote energy efficiency tips for customers and acknowledge the critical role energy plays in our daily lives.
Energy efficiency means using less energy to do the same job – lowering energy bills and reducing emissions. Customers have an opportunity to manage and improve their energy use and address energy waste with a few simple steps:
- Install a programmable or Wi-Fi enabled thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs.
- Install smart power strips. Most electronics draw power when not in use. This “vampire load” adds up to cost the average home up to $200/year. Installing smart power strips can reduce vampire loads and save money.
- Weatherize your home. One of the most cost-effective energy-saving measures is to seal air leaks in the home. Save 5-15% of home heating and cooling by adding caulk or weather stripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
- Take advantage of heat from the sun. Open window coverings to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Adjust the temperature. Set your thermostat to as low as comfortably possible. When you are asleep or out of the house turn your thermostat back 10°-15° for eight hours to save energy and manage costs.
- Improve the efficiency of your HVAC system by replacing air filters, tuning it up, or upgrading. A new system can save you $150 or more per year in energy costs.
- Purchase LED bulbs which use up to 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 times longer. The average home uses 40 bulbs.
These tips are useful during Energy Awareness Month, and every month of the year. For more tips on ways to save visit www.aesindiana.com/ways-save.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture