AES Indiana, a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), encourages customers to be aware of their electricity usage at home during bitter cold temperatures through the winter heating season and how significant swings in temperatures can have an impact on electric utility bills.
AES Indiana offers helpful energy efficiency tips and resources for the cold days ahead.
- Reduce your thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting when home. Remember, the lower the interior temperature, the slower the heat loss. Install a programmable thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs. Energy-efficient products are available for your home on the AES Indiana Marketplace.
- Improve the efficiency of your HVAC system by replacing air filters, tuning it up or upgrading. Changing air filters regularly is one of the easiest things you can do to support heating efficiency throughout your home.
- Take advantage of heat from the sun. Open window coverings to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Click it off – turn off unnecessary lights and switch to energy efficient lighting in your home.
- Purchase LED bulbs which use up to 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 times longer. The average home uses 40 bulbs.
- Sign up for Budget Billing. When the weather is unpredictably high or low, your AES Indiana bill doesn’t have to be. This billing option establishes more predictable payments throughout the year.
Learn more about how your home uses energy, how you can save energy and spend less on your energy bill.
Several programs are available to eligible customers who are in need of assistance with their utility bill.
AES Indiana also urges customers to be weather aware and prepared. The Outage Information Center offers easy outage reporting, safety tips and preparedness tips such as what to pack in an emergency kit.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture.