AES Indiana is offering customers resources and tools to understand and manage high winter energy bills. Fuel costs are among the factors impacting customer bills. Prices for natural gas and coal have incrementally increased over the past year and continue to add to customers' bills. Last month's cold temperatures and the Fuel Adjustment Charge (FAC) that AES Indiana is required to file quarterly have also placed additional financial pressure on customer bills this season. AES Indiana does not earn a profit on these rates.
“Our customers are understandably shocked by the high market prices that are suddenly impacting their bills, especially during a time when they are experiencing other inflationary prices which cause additional financial strain,” said Brandi Davis-Handy, Chief Customer Officer, AES Indiana. “We are focused on helping customers understand factors like fuel, usage and weather can cause fluctuations in bills, and raise awareness of the financial resources and payment options available to help ease the financial burden.”
AES Indiana understands every household is different and is offering a variety of resources and tips to help customers manage costs:
Payment options and programs
- Budget Billing allows customers to pay the same amount for 11 months and then settle the difference on the 12th month.
- Payment Extensions can be requested online at AESIndiana.com or by calling the automated system at 317.261.8222
- Preferred Bill Date is offered for AES Indiana customers who want a due date that best matches their paydays.
Financial assistance resources
- Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is a government program that runs through May. Customers must meet the income guidelines to qualify.
- Winter Assistance Fund runs through May for Marion County residents and there are significant funds available. Customers must meet the income guidelines to qualify. The Winter Assistance Fund helps those who cannot afford heat and electricity but do not qualify for the government's Energy Assistance Program.
- Power of Change is AES Indiana's emergency relief fund is available thanks to donations from AES Indiana and our customers. The program was created by AES Indiana with input from community groups and stakeholders to offer a hand up during a time of need.
AES Indiana is also asking customers to be aware of their electricity use at home during the cold months and offers these energy efficiency tips and resources.
- Reduce your thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting when home. Remember, the lower the interior temperature, the slower the heat loss. Install a smart thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs. By participating in CoolCents, you may be eligible for a discounted smart thermostat.
- Smart thermostats and Energy-efficient products are available for your home on the AES Indiana Marketplace. Click it off – turn off unnecessary lights and switch to energy efficient lighting in your home.
- Take advantage of heat from the sun. Open window coverings to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Purchase LED bulbs which use up to 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 times longer. The average home uses 40 bulbs.
Learn more about how your home uses energy, how you can save energy and spend less on your energy bill.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture.