April is Earth Month, a time to increase environmental awareness and encourage adoption of environmentally friendly, energy-efficient practices. To celebrate Earth Month, AES Indiana, a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), is promoting new initiatives, partnerships and events that further the company’s message of safety first and its sustainability goals of powering efforts to support green customer options.
Tree Safety Education Campaign
Trees are an invaluable and stunning natural resource. However, if not appropriately maintained, they create a significant risk to the safety and reliability of our electric system. Trees and other vegetation that are too close to power lines can lead to power outages, fires and even electrocution. Together, we can minimize the number of outages and other safety hazards by taking proactive steps together!
AES Indiana provides these three easy tips to help customers plant and maintain trees safely around any electrical equipment:
- Planting trees at a minimum distance of 50 feet from power lines reduces the probability of contact between the tree and power lines as they grow.
- Choose the right type of tree. Certain trees are better suited for planting near power lines, with smaller mature sizes, shorter branches, and slower growth rates.
- Call AES Indiana, at 317-261-8111, if you notice a tree that is too close to a power line or causing a safety hazard.
Initiatives and Events, powered by AES Indiana
AES Indiana administers and supports many initiatives and events throughout the community that foster the preservation and protection of our natural resources.
Earth Day at the JCC Indianapolis
Sunday, April 23, 12:00 PM-4:00 PM, 6701 Hoover Road Indianapolis, IN 46260
Visit the AES Indiana booth to receive a free tree and learn more about energy efficiency tips.
Arbor Day Tree Giveaway
Friday, April 28
AES Indiana celebrates Arbor Day each year to support ongoing sustainability efforts. This year, trees will be made available at Indy parks across the city, including Garfield Park, Riverside Park, Eagle Creek, and Ellenberger Park. Trees will be given away inside at the Family Centers.
AES Indiana Mayor’s Lunch for Parks
Friday, April 28, 11:00 AM-1:30 PM, JW Marriott, Grand Ballroom
AES Indiana partners with the Indianapolis Parks Foundation to support the AES Indiana Mayor’s Lunch for Parks, which raises money for park projects and the development and improvement of parks in the community. AES Indiana has been the presenting sponsor since the first luncheon in 2003.
Three easy ways to support sustainability during Earth Month
- Replace inefficient light bulbs with LEDs. Switching to LEDs may seem like a small change, but they can make a big impact both for your home and the environment. Compared to CFLs or incandescent bulbs, LEDs provide higher quality lighting, have a longer lifespan and contain zero toxic elements.
- Ditch your fridge. Proper fridge disposal reduces greenhouse gas emissions and saves more than 120 pounds of recyclable steel from the landfill. From now until the end of June, AES Indiana will take the hassle out of the haul-away and give you $75 for recycling a qualifying refrigerator or freezer. Place your order before June 30, 2023 to receive your $75 incentive. Visit aesindiana.com/ditch-your-fridge-appliance-recycling for more information.
- Green power. Support renewable energy for just a few dollars more each month. Green power is electricity produced from renewable resources – like the sun, wind, water – that do not pollute our environment. AES Indiana green power option allows you to specify part, or all of your monthly electricity use to be generated by an environmentally friendly, renewable resource. Learn more at aesindiana.com/green-power.
April is also National Safe Digging Month. AES Indiana encourages all customers to understand the importance of digging in a safe, responsible way. Whether your project involves construction or planting a tree, put safety first and be sure to call 811 at least 2 days ahead of your scheduled start. Customers can also submit requests online via 811NOW.com.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.