AES Indiana reminds customers that Indiana’s Winter Disconnection Moratorium ends on March 15 and there are resources available to help customers with bill payment. Customers who need to make payment arrangements are encouraged to contact AES Indiana immediately and not wait until disconnection notices are distributed.
The Winter Disconnection Moratorium protection began on December 1, 2022 and ends March 15, 2023. This means any household previously protected from having uninterrupted electric and natural gas utility service is now at risk of disconnection. AES Indiana is asking customers with this coverage to take action quickly by making a payment arrangement and / or applying for financial assistance before the moratorium ends.
AES Indiana understands the hardships in the winter months when significant swings in temperatures can have an impact on your electric utility bill. We offer a variety of resources and tips to help customers manage costs:
Payment options and programs
- Budget Billing allows customers to pay the same amount for 11 months and then we’ll “settle up” with a credit or balance due in month 12. Budget amounts can be adjusted once every three months, as the actual energy use is factored into the rolling 12-month average.
- Short and Long-Term Payment Extensions can be requested online at aesindiana.com or by calling the automated system at 317-261-8222.
- Preferred Bill Date is offered for AES Indiana customers who want a due date that best matches their paydays.
For more payment and billing options, visit aesindiana.com/payment-and-billing-options.
If you're having trouble paying your bill, one of these assistance programs may help.
- Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is a government program that runs from October through May. Customers must meet the income guidelines to qualify.
- Winter Assistance Fund runs from November 1, 2022 through May 31, 2023 for Marion County residents. Customers must meet the income guidelines to qualify. The Winter Assistance Fund helps those who cannot afford heat and electricity but do not qualify for the government's Energy Assistance Program.
- Power of Change is AES Indiana's emergency relief fund that is available thanks to donations from AES Indiana and its customers. The program was created by AES Indiana with input from community groups and stakeholders to offer a hand up during a time of need.
For more information and to apply for assistance programs, visit aesindiana.com/payment-assistance.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture.