The AES Corporation (AES), a Fortune 500 global energy company, is excited to announce the 2022 AES Energy Innovation Challenge. The Challenge is a competition that brings together teams of students from diverse backgrounds to create and present a solution to a relevant problem the energy industry is facing. Not only are we looking to challenge aspiring energy professionals, but we are also interested in exploring undiscovered solutions. Team application deadline is September 23, 2022.
The prize-based competition is an exciting opportunity for students to gain the real-world experience, skills, and insights required to help accelerate the responsible energy transition upon graduation; all while networking with leaders from a global Fortune 500 company leading the transformation to smarter, greener energy future.
Details about the competition:
- Students must form their own teams
- 3-5 students per team
- At least two different undergraduate or graduate disciplines represented
- All participants must be enrolled in a graduate degree or equivalent program and attend the same academic institution
- 1st Place: Interview conversation for each team member, $10k cash prize, $1,000 donation to charity of choice
- 2nd Place: Interview conversation for each team member, $5k cash prize, $1,000 donation to charity of choice
- All participants: Student memberships to industry organizations, networking events with AES professionals
Competition Timeline Team application deadline
- Team application deadline - September 23, 2022
- First round presentations - October 13 & 14, 2022
- Final round presentations - October 28, 2022
For more information, visit aes.com/innovation-challenge
Last year’s winners were an all-female team from Johns Hopkins University. The team focused on decommissioning a Virginia-based coal power plant and replacing the lost capacity with offshore wind facilities. The proposal included the development of a gravity energy storage tower alongside a wind blade recycling facility. They reasoned that gravity energy storage was an essential component of their solution since it complimented the intermittent nature of renewable energy and ensured future grid reliability.
About AES Indiana
AES Indiana, an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, AES Indiana has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please Connect with AES Indiana on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. For more information about how AES Indiana is accelerating the future of energy, visit aesindiana.com/hellofuture.