INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), encourages its customers to be safe as extremely cold temperatures affect Central Indiana. IPL is prepared to meet the increase in demand for electricity this week. IPL customers can fight the winter chill with convenient and easy resources available to help bear the burden of cold days ahead. Here are some helpful safety and energy-efficiency tips to consider as temperatures continue to fall.
Be safe at home:
- Avoid using appliances such as stoves for heating your home.
- When using an alternate heat source such as fireplace, wood stove, portable/kerosene heater or electric heaters, use caution, practice fire safety, provide for proper ventilation and follow all manufacturers’ safety guidelines.
- Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
- If you use candles, be careful with them. Remember to keep them away from children and combustible materials and never leave lit candles unattended.
Be smart about energy use:
- Lower your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower to save on heating costs.
- Close all doors, windows and screens. You may want to purchase inexpensive window kits to cover unused windows and doors with plastic.
- Prevent drafts by closing fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Utilize Power ToolsSM programs year-round for more tips on ways to manage energy and save money.
IPL also urges customers to be weather aware and prepared. The Outage Information Center at IPLpower.com offers easy outage reporting, safety tips, preparedness tips such as what to pack in an emergency kit, and suggestions on how to form a “Storm Squad” if you need to enact an emergency plan. IPL also encourages customers to follow us on Twitter at @IPLpower where we make every effort to provide relevant, real-time outage updates.
About Indianapolis Power & Light Company and AES.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 480,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, IPL has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. For more information about the company, please visit www.IPLpower.com or connect with us at www.twitter.com/IPLpower, www.facebook.com/IPLpower or www.linkedin.com/company/IPLpower.
The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES) is a Fortune 200 global power company. We provide affordable, sustainable energy to 18 countries through a diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Our workforce of 18,500 people is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world’s changing power needs. AES’ 2014 revenues were $17 billion, and we own and manage $39 billion in total assets. To learn more, please visit www.aes.com. Follow AES on Twitter @TheAESCorp.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company