Whether you're at home or work, it's important to think safety first when it comes to electricity.
- Never pull a plug out by the cord.
- Do not overload outlets with too many plugs because this can cause a fire.
- Be careful when using portable electric space heaters. Never leave a space heater unattended, and be sure to place it at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs. Learn more from ESFI.
- Don’t use electrical equipment like radios and hair dryers near the bathtub or sink.
- Equip kitchens and bathrooms with ground fault interrupter outlets (outlets with red reset buttons) to protect you from being shocked.
- After washing your hands or bathing, always make sure you are completely dry before touching a switch or plugging anything in.
- Teach children to always keep fingers and other objects away from electrical outlets.
- Never touch any fallen wire, even with a broom or long-handled item. Consider every wire on the ground to be energized and especially dangerous. Call AES Indiana at 317-261-8111, or 911 if there's a life-threatening emergency.
- Always call 811 before you begin any digging project.
- Be aware of overhead lines and maintain a safe distance. Never assume an overhead power line is insulated. Be especially cautious when working with long equipment, such as ladders or tree trimming tools.
- Don't put a tool shed, swimming pool, swings or playground equipment underneath a power line.
- Never climb utility poles, towers or substation fences. If you have lost something over a substation fence, call us at 317-261-8111 and we'll be happy to send a representative to retrieve it for you.
- Don't fly kites or drones near power lines. If a kite or drone becomes entangled in a power line, never try to retrieve it. Call AES Indiana at 317-261-8111 for help.
- Do not attempt to cut or remove a tree that is, or could become, entangled with power lines. Contact AES Indiana for assistance at 317-261-8111.