Having trouble paying your bill? We have resources to help.
AES Indiana understands that utility bills can be a financial challenge for our customers. We encourage you to reach out should you need financial assistance at any time. Below are resources available to you as an AES Indiana customer, as well as information on local and federal assistance programs that can help ease the burden of your bill.
Several assistance programs have eligibility requirements based on your household income. We recommend you know your household income first to determine which programs may be right for you. Here’s where to start.
Energy Assistance Program (EAP)
EAP is a federally funded, one-time benefit program that can assist you with the cost of utilities and can help if you are disconnected or about to get disconnected. EAP is also referred to as Low-Income Energy Assistance Program or LIHEAP.
Indiana households that make 60% of the state median income (60SMI) or less may qualify for these benefits. See below for a detailed breakdown of income qualifications.
|Household size||Last 3 Months Household Income Must NOT EXCEED|
You can apply for a heating benefit anytime between October 2, 2023, through May 20, 2024.
Important dates to know:
- October 2, 2023: Applications begin to be accepted at Local Service Providers. open
- November 1, 2023: The 2024 Energy Assistance Program benefits begin to be transferred to utility vendors.
- December 1, 2023: Start of Moratorium protection. Participants with active service who have applied for EAP are protected from disconnection until March 15, 2024.
- March 15, 2024: End of Moratorium protection.
- May 20, 2024: End of the EAP heating season. Last day for households to apply.
- Applying for EAP helps you receive moratorium protection, which in turn helps your utility not get shut off.
- Proof of application submission or approval letter must be submitted to AES Indiana by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or your account will not be held from disconnection during the moratorium period, December 1, 2023 through March 15, 2024.
- If approved for EAP, you can still apply for AES Indiana’s Power of Change program.
- If denied for EAP, you can apply for the Winter Assistance Fund (WAF) and for AES Indiana’s Power of Change program.
United Way of Central Indiana’s Winter Assistance Fund
The Winter Assistance Fund (WAF) is championed by United Way of Central Indiana for Marion County residents who struggle with increased utility costs but do not qualify for EAP. To apply, call or visit an application site near you. Also, you can apply online.
Eligibility is based upon household income.
|Household size||Total last 3 months gross income must be over||Total last 3 months gross income must not exceed|
Applications are available starting November 1, 2022 and go through May 31, 2023.
Regardless of your WAF approval or denial, you can still apply for AES Indiana’s Power of Change program.
AES Indiana’s Power of Change
Power of Change assists income-qualified customers, regardless of approval or denial from EAP or WAF, with a one-time grant for electric bill assistance. To apply, locate your nearest agency and call or visit to complete an application.
You must apply for EAP first and be one of the following: LIHEAP participant, LIHEAP qualified, or have proof of eligibility in SNAP, TANF, HIP or Medicaid.
You must apply for EAP first. Proof of application submission or approval letter must be submitted to AES Indiana by emailing email@example.com.
- Upon approval, the assistance pledge will be posted to your AES Indiana account. You will receive a letter of approval from the Power of Change program partner for your records.
- If the request is denied, you will receive a letter of explanation from the Power of Change program partner for your records.
Community assistance programs
In addition to the above assistance programs, there are additional resources available to help those in need.
2-1-1 is a free and confidential service available to you 24/7 that helps with finding health and human services you may need. Dial 2-1-1 to connect with a navigator or visit their website.
IHCDA helps with housing assistance to provide the opportunity for you to live in safe, affordable, good-quality housing in economically stable communities. Learn more about their available programs.
Community centers and trustees are listed on the AES Indiana website.
AES Indiana assistance programs
Should you need assistance with your utility bill but don’t qualify for income-based programs, we can still help.
Who is eligible?
- AES Indiana residential customers who are current on their bill
How it works
- The starting point is the average amount for your last 12 AES Indiana bills.
- You’ll be billed the same amount for the first three months, even if your energy use varies.
- Your payment amount may be adjusted once every three months, as your actual energy use is factored into your rolling 12-month average.
- On every monthly bill, you’ll see how much energy you actually used and the cost, which may be more or less than the amount you pay that month under the Budget Billing plan.
- We’ll “settle up” with a credit or balance due in month 12, but seasonal adjustments throughout the year help avoid surprises.
- When you enroll, your Budget Billing plan will begin with your next monthly billing statement
- Best for customers who just need a few extra days to pay their current bill
- Approval is based on account status and payment history
- Available for residential and business customers
How to apply
- Residential customers can divide payments over three or six months. AES Indiana will divide your remaining balance over the extension period. This amount will be included in the total amount due on your coming bills.
- $10 minimum payment is required.
- Apply online
- Enroll over the phone at 888-261-8222 and select Billing & Payments in our automated system.
- Payment extensions must be made at least two business days before your due date or scheduled disconnect date.
- Large commercial and industrial customers with an account representative should speak to them first for customized payment plans.
AES Indiana lets you choose a custom due date that works best with your cash flow.
Who is eligible?
- Customers accounts must be current to participate.
- We will contact you within three business days to confirm your request.
- Please have your account number available.